About this course
This qualification reflects the role of commercial cooks who have a supervisory or team leading role in the kitchen. They operate independently or with limited guidance from others and use discretion to solve non-routine problems.
This qualification provides a pathway to work in organisations such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafes and coffee shops, or to run a small business in these sectors.
- International students must be at least 18 years of age
- International students must have completed at least the equivalent of Year 12.
- These students must also have an IELTS Academic score of 5.5 or equivalent (test results must be no more than 2 years old).
- Students must also participate in a course entry interview to demonstrate their suitability for the course.
International Students may not be required to provide evidence of English Language competence where documented evidence can be provided to demonstrate any of the following:
- The student was educated for 5 years in an English-speaking country.
- The student has completed at least 6 months of a Certificate IV level course in an Australian RTO.
- The student has successfully completed an English Placement Test.
- The student has successfully completed a foundation course in Australia.
- The student has successfully completed their High School in English Language.
*Note that other English language tests such as PTE and TOEFL can be accepted. Students are required to provide their results so that it can be confirmed they are equivalent to IELTS 5.5.
Total Units 33 Core Units 26 Elective Units 7
|Unit Code||Unit Name||Core/Electivee|
|BSBDIV501||Manage diversity in the workplace||Core|
|BSBSUS401||Implement and monitor environmentally sustainable work practices||Core|
|SITHCCC001||Use food preparation equipment*||Core|
|SITHCCC005||Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery*||Core|
|SITHCCC006||Prepare appetisers and salads*||Core|
|SITHCCC007||Prepare stocks, sauces and soups*||Core|
|SITHCCC008||Prepare vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes*||Core|
|SITHCCC012||Prepare poultry dishes*||Core|
|SITHCCC013||Prepare seafood dishes*||Core|
|SITHCCC014||Prepare meat dishes*||Core|
|SITHCCC018||Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements*||Core|
|SITHCCC019||Produce cakes, pastries and breads*||Core|
|SITHCCC020||Work effectively as a cook*||Core|
|SITHKOP002||Plan and cost basic menus||Core|
|SITHKOP004||Develop menus for special dietary requirements||Core|
|SITHKOP005||Coordinate cooking operations*||Core|
|SITXFIN003||Manage finances within a budget||Core|
|SITXFSA001||Use hygienic practices for food safety||Core|
|SITXFSA002||Participate in safe food handling practices||Core|
|SITXHRM001||Coach others in job skills||Core|
|SITXHRM003||Lead and manage people||Core|
|SITXINV002||Maintain the quality of perishable items*||Core|
|SITXMGT001||Monitor work operations||Core|
|SITXWHS003||Implement and monitor work health and safety practices||Core|
|SITHKOP001||Clean kitchen premises and equipment||Core|
|SITHCCC002||Prepare and serve simple dishes||Elective|
|SITXWHS002||Identify hazards, assess and control safety risk||Elective|
|SITXFIN004||Prepare and monitor budgets||Elective|
|SITXCCS006||Provide service to customers||Elective|
|SITHFAB002||Provide responsible service of alcohol||Elective|
|SITHIND002||Source and use information on the hospitality industry||Elective|
* The unit SITXFSA001 Use hygienic practices for food safety is a pre-requisite for all units marked with a star and will, therefore, be delivered and assessed prior to all other units marked with a star.
The Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery includes Practical classes and Work placement. The practical class will be conducted in a fully equipped training kitchen based in Fortitude Valley, QLD 4006. And a minimum of 48 food service shifts of work placement hours to be completed to meet the requirement of course.
Work placements provide students with the opportunity to apply the theory and skills they learned while studying in a professional workplace. For more information on work placement, including or support services; please feel free to contact Brighton College
Students who complete this course may be able to seek employment in a range of organisations such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafes and coffee shops, or to run a small business in these sectors. Such as
- chef de parties